Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hawai'i: My journey to a heavier me

My top 5 for 5. (Meaning : 5 reasons why I'm 5 pounds heavier)
To commemorate the increase in weight, I would like to offer my top 5 culinary adventures in Honolulu.

#5 - The Market Place in China Town.
Although we didn't actually consume any food at the market place, Chinatown offers every fruit and veggie you can think of that might exist. While walking, Kuya and I talked of a fruit that we once had in the Philippines (same size as kalmansi, green skin, clear on the inside.) Unfortunately, we couldn't find it and mom, dad, and sis had no idea what it was that we were talking about. SO, it seems that Kuya and I made the whole thing up.



#4 - Walking Distance and in view
Ihop attracts all the tourists within walking distance of the hotels. Smart marketing.


This particular morning, I opted for a spinach and tomato omelet, you know, cuz you can't get that on the mainland.


Although it was an extremely busy visit, sis and I did find one small window of time to sink our feet into the sand in front of the Sheraton a little bit of time one afternoon. 80 degrees, warm sand, an iced vanilla latte with my sister. Doesn't get much better than that. To top it off, we ran across a Yardhouse walking back to the hotel, so - of course- we stopped to have a drink and some delicious appetizers. Note to self: the words 'Fresh Fish' mean something completely different on an island. Ono-licious!


#3 - The Karaoke Bar and other stuff my family kept bringing around
At the funeral home, there was a room dedicated for refreshments. Of course, my family turned it into a party room. Pancit, desserts, coffee, tea, juice, running around, loud talking, laughter... it was like Uncle was alive and celebrating with all of us. The Hawaiians turned a funeral into a true celebration of life to remember a wonderful man. I guess that is the true tribute to a man. After all, aren't we defined by what we leave behind?




Then there was the karaoke bar. I swear, if I were a smart woman, I would open on of these bad boys in San Diego. I'm not talking about the cheesy ones you see in Clariemont. I'm talking about a beautifully decorated, warm, and comfortable place for families to assemble and be together. This particular joint provided coolers, tables, and ice. The family did the rest. Homemade spam musubi, ahi and other delicious sashimi, cupcakes, rice, skewers... The only regret I have from this is that I was so darn full from lunch that I didn't feel like I got a chance to take full advantage of the food. Luckily, the family offered for us to take the musubi back with us to the hotel...no need to stuff it all in the purse.



Then there was the restaurant. Nine courses (might be 8 or 10 actually, I stopped counting after the roast duck showed up) We had just come from the military ceremony at the cemetery. Since it was a private burial, the best idea was to - surprise, surprise - grab a bite to eat.

I wanted to stop eating, but I'm only human. It was "authentic" Chinese food. And, man oh man, oh so good.

#2 - The Rare Buffet

Kuya said that it isn't smart for Hawaiians to open buffets. This is because food is such a staple in culture for the islanders. Plus, buffets would lose money.

We did take a morning stroll to the Hale Koa Hotel,as the breakfast buffet there is rumored to be one of the best. Since we woke up every morning at 5 am, we took our time walking around Waikiki to make it to the hotel.



We ate at a table overlooking the beach on an outdoor patio. What a lovely morning spent with my family.

#1 - Zippy's.
OK, ok. I know it is the equivalent of Denny's, but it is open 24 hours and you can have anything you like at any time of the day. There are three wonderful parts: a fast food option (think: Panda Express), a bakery, and a full restaurant. We took advantage twice because you can't just go once.



Before the funeral, we walked across the street to enjoy breakfast. Sis and I are smart ones... we each order a meal and swap halfway. That way, you get to have more than one entree. The problem is, halfway through my loco moco, I didn't want to trade. The swap was worth it ... the banana pancakes were perfect.

Upon arriving in Honolulu, the family met us at the Alamo rental place and we went directly to Zippy's down the street. I had the saimin and Sis ordered the Korean chicken. I would go back again just to have a spoon full of that chicken.


And there you have it. Too much eating. But here's the glorious part about it. At the end of the day, I will lose the 5 pounds (or maybe not) but I will never lose the memories that I made with my family. That's living.