Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Honoring ... Appreciating life


Friends have asked me, " Is it hard to be married to a cop?" To answer, I guess I have to say YES and NO. I really haven't known anything else other than to be married to a cop. There is the obvious: his job is dangerous. The other obvious (that has become more recently) is that the community doesn't value his job. I mean, or course people VALUE it, especially if they've been robbed, if there is an accident, or if something is missing. What I mean is that part where people want police services, they just aren't willing to pay any extra taxes to secure the protections or services. But hey, that's a whole other blog.

I guess that I define it a little differently. You see, I'm married to this great guy who happens to be an officer for his job. The part that is hard about it is that he and his job are hard to separate from each other. Being a teacher, I can have a tough day at work and by the time I get home, I can shake almost anything off. For him, a bad day at work literally can affect life. This difference is the reason why there really are heroes that live among us.



I had the privilege of accompanying hubby to CHRISTOPHER WILSON's funeral recently. Chris was a San Diego Police officer that was shot in the line of duty by someone not worth mentioning here. Hubby, being on the Honor Guard, has been to many police officers' funerals and would often tell me about it. But it wasn't until I saw with my own two eyes that I've come to understand what it means when the law enforcement community supports each other.

I walked into The Rock Church with the expectation that I would find Hubby right away. It is usually easy because he stands with such pride. What I met was a foyer filled with law enforcement officers from dozens of different agencies all over the nation, standing with the same pride and dignity that I have grown accustom to expecting from my other half.

During the 3 hour service, there were more than 10 speakers that shared funny, heartwarming stories and memories of the fallen officer. Even the Governator spoke to pay condolences to Officer Wilson's family and the City of San Diego as a whole.



Hearing the Governor, the Chief of Police and the Mayor of San Diego all share their thoughts was amazing, but the part that was overwhelming emotional was another officer that spoke. He was the last to speak (before the family) and shared his story with the thousands and thousands that attended the service. He was hurt in the line of duty a few years ago; a shot that left him paralyzed from the neck down. He shared his story of depression and sadness, as he was very young when the shooting took place. He then shared how Chris helped him through the darkest time of his life. Through their friendship, Chris was able to help him mentally, physically and emotionally to overcome demons that could have taken his life. After he spoke, the entire assembly stood and applauded this man, as another officer ( who had held the microphone for him as he spoke) wheeled him off the stage and down the ramp to join the others proudly dressed in the SDPD uniform.

The ceremony ended with all the uniformed officers standing at attention in the hot San Diego sun as the SDPD honor guard did the 21 gun salute, Amazing Grace was played on the bagpipes, and a sole trumpet player played TAPS.



I don't know if there are other professions that are (should be) appreciated and recognized as widely as a police officer. I do know this: I am proud to be married to one. And I will continue to share him with our community as long as he wants to be a cop because what he does for our family, our community, our sons is important.