Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pain and Revelations

Having so much time (laying dawn and on pain killers) has given me some time to think about what is important to me.  I've come to the conclusion that I have a bunch of stuff to be thankful for in my life.  Here are just a couple that come to mind:

I am thankful for my oldest son.  He is amazing.  He tries very hard at school and at home.  He hardly complains and he is very quick to help out with the little ones.  He is patient (I could learn a thing or two from him in that department)

He spent the last two football seasons cheering on his little bro at football games and watching the other little bro so that I could watch the football games too.  Now, he is playing rec basketball for Mira Mesa.  The team has won the last two games and it seems that he is getting better and better each week.  Better yet, he chooses to practice daily, dribbling and shooting in the driveway daily so he can get better.  What commitment!  I really could learn a little something from him.













I am thankful for my job.  Just like everyone, I really look forward to time off.  But unlike most, I really enjoy my job.  Middle school kids are a tough little breed...sensitive, impressionable, immature. They are also at a point in their young lives where they (can) enjoy school and value the relationships.

While I was gone, the kids had several different substitute teachers.  I'm sure that some were good, some were bad, some were more intense than others.  But at the end of the day, they love me enough to wish me well.

























Lastly, I'm grateful for the lessons I learn at Flood each week.  Recently, Pastor Matt spoke about a scripture that has me thinking.  Basically, the Bible says all God wants in return for His sacrifices is for us to: "Act Justly", "Love Mercy", and "Walk Humbly." (Micah 6:8)  Man, those are hard to do.  #1 and #3 are difficult, but not impossible.  #2 ...well, I guess I don't know what that looks like because it is a state of mind where we extend mercy to move forward.  That means that we have to forgive the people that have hurt us.  And we have to forgive ourselves for hurting others.  Yup, tough stuff.  But I am moving in the right direction... I hope.

I'll end by telling you about the hamster wheel.  I went to see Dr. Popcorn, a dear friend from back in the underage days.  He says that my back is out because I tore muscles.  Torn muscles cause spasms.  Spasms cause inflammation.  Inflammation makes it hard for the muscle to heal.  The muscle can't heal, so it causes spasms...  See?  Hamster wheel.