Friday, February 24, 2012

Fix it with Nutella

It broke.

Shattered in a tiny spider web pattern.













You know that moment when something that you absolutely love breaks?  It seems to happen in slow motion.  I mean, not really.  If it were in slow motion, my cat like reflexes would have caught it in mid air as it descended from the back seat of hubby's truck onto the hard, dark newly paved asphalt of the cul de sac.  Instead, it fell with one loud thump and that was it.  But when I replay it in my mind, I see the off white lens (still attached to the camera) slowly tumble over and over in the air several times before violently hitting the ground.

Ouch. I love that lens.


So, what happens next?  Well, after the initial *shock* comes the calm, then the  dissection.
Removing the UV cover, I discover that the L-glass is still in tact.  In fact, there isn't even a scratch on it. Flawless... like the day I got it. (If this was my classroom: insert teachable moment here.)
I remember when I paid almost 80 bucks for that UV cover.  I went to George's in North Park and bought the cover as an afterthought.  It wasn't about clarity or color enhancement. At the time, it seemed to be just another 80 bucks that I was spending.  Whatever.  The camera shop might as well be the candy store.  I just pick up this and that.

So today, I thank my lucky stars.  Not because my lens is still in tact, but because it (all of it) is material stuff that can be replaced or not. The lens, the glass, the UV cover... all of it. What can't be replaced is that fact that both boys have practice tonight - football and basketball - and I can't wait to watch both of them hard at work.  In fact, basketball season is coming to an end soon.  The camera gets to come with me and capture those images.  That's what's important.  It's not like my relationships, friendships, or morals have been shattered... that's the stuff that can't be replaced by picking it up at the shop or ordering it online.

That said and understood,  I woke up and saw it on the table where I left it last night.  Still shattered.  Still broken.  And for a second, it brought back that feeling of sadness and panic.  (After all, that lens has seen it all... birthday parties, football games, wrestling matches, jun jitsu competitions, all the important events.  It has been my constant, reliable companion through all of it. ) But, my little guy thought of the perfect way to fix it... Nutella.
Yeah.  I don't know if Nutella will actually fix the lens.  But it sure did repair the spirit.  Man, he has the answer to everything.

After this blog, I'm going to order a new UV cover, shop around on the B&H website a bit,  and wipe that little guy's hands and mouth clean... in that order.