Thursday, June 10, 2010

On to bigger things...


Oh my! I have a middle schooler.

Our #1 guy said goodbye to elementary school in a promotion ceremony this week. What a neat experience to see our little (oh well, not so little I guess) guy get dressed in a shirt and tie and walk with all of the other 5th graders to receive his certificate of completion for elementary school.

I've been teaching middle school for 10 years now and I'm so excited to have my guy at school with me everyday. Part of me is a little nervous, but he is such a great kid that I know it will all work out. I just hope that he is able to adjust (after all, most middle schoolers don't want their mom around.) He has told me how proud he is of me and the work that I do, so I'm hoping that my presence with be a source of comfort and pride, not embassessment.

After the ceremony, I took a bunch of pictures (of course) One of the pictures I got was a picture of my guy with his elementary school friends. It reminded me of a picture that I have of myself taken at my 5th grade promotion at the same school. For me, the friendships that I had with most of the children in my picture slowly drifted as we developed other interests in middle and high school. However, Ria and I continued our friendship well into our adult years which is really wonderful.


For my son, I wish him the same kind of lasting friendships.