Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Time to compete!

The boys have a jiu Jitsu tournament that they have been training for at the dojo. Sensei has the boys conditioning and practicing techniques to help them do well for the competition later this month. I feel very anxious for the boys. It is always scary to me that I am allowing my children to grapple on the ground with other kids, basically I'm condoning ground fighting. Hubby does bring up a good point which is boys should know how to fight. He also says that martial arts, any kind, helps to build confidence. I believe that too, but more importantly, the boys have friends at there and enjoy going. That's good enough for me.

I am worried that the boys will get hurt because at the tournament, they are up against kids that are from other places. At our dojo, Sensei stresses the need to practice technique and not to hurt the other person. But at this tournament, the kids will have every intention of hurting, strong arming, trapping, beating up my boys.

It is a good thing that I am absolutely confident that they are well prepared and can take care of themselves. I guess it's true that a little boy should know how to fight. I hope that I'm strong enough to do this a third time with baby when the time comes.