Thursday, February 2, 2012

How is this flat?



Half Marathon: Check.











The Carlsbad Half Marathon came and went and all that training paid off one step at a time.  It is amazing when I think about  how long ago this all started with the summer days of crossfit and lambrusco.  Today I can proudly say that - although I am not a strong runner - I am dedicated and focused enough to make my body do what my mind knows I can do.  It's funny, as I get older I don't feel older.  In fact, I am probably stronger today than I was 10 years ago.  This little journey isn't over quite yet either.  I feel another long run coming in the near future.  I'm not referring to the Camp Pendelton Mud Run... I'm thinking a little closer than that.  I am pretty sure that Hubby doesn't feel the same way, but I know that my girls do.  So, I'm not retiring the running shoes quite yet.

The day before the run, MM and I braved the weather and picked up all the bibs.  At pick up, we stayed for the health expo where I consumed some delicious yogurt and picked up a bunch of stickers that I would later toss.  One vendor worth mentioning is the Running Divas clothing company.  Talk about C-U-T-E stuff.  One of these days, I'm going to bend and buy one of each of the cute tops, comfy pants, and super stylish long socks.  But first I feel like I have to run more to , you know, earn the right to wear a "Half Marathon Mom" top.  Of course, arguably, how many half marathons does one have to run before one has earned it?

 It rained the day before and the day after the run.  But the day of the run, it was PERFECT weather.  The first 6.5 miles were mainly along the water in Carlsbad with a pod of dolphins making a guest appearance somewhere around mile 5.  I was told that it was a beautiful run by many people and I must agree:  the weather and scenery makes me want to run there again sometime. Maybe not 13.1 miles, but a nice stroll on the sand to chase birds and pick up shells.   It's funny that I never noticed that Carlsbad is actually a nice place to visit.  Not just the outlets there, but some of the little shops are quite quaint  and the beach is so inviting.  I love living in San Diego.
After the run, the troops and I hobbled to the car that was parked on the other side of the mall and went for some delicious pizza and beer at Pizza Port.  Since I had cut alcohol out of my diet, I thought I would commemorate the run with a delicious, ice cold one.  It sounded about right at the time, but once the beer was in hand,  really all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and sleep, sleep, sleep.  Funny that I write that, because I was too tired to enjoy the beer but NOT too tired to enjoy the chocolate and ice cream I had right after.  

I think that Sissy, Mrs. Sensei, & the Juicy Gal would love a trip to the chocolate/ wine hole that Tee Wang, MM, Lily, and I discovered.  Note to self: Take the girls up there soon for some whine and wine.  

So, off  the bucket list goes the half marathon.  What an emotional journey.  One that I won't soon forget.  The last half mile was very difficult.  Maybe the hardest part of the run because I mentally shut down once I saw all the people and the home stretch.  Let's just say that I am acutely aware that it is NOT 13 miles, it is 13.1.   Luckily I had angels guiding me to that finish line.  Really, I thought about them and how they were smiling down on me as I crossed that finish line with Lily's hand in mine.  

And ,  I hope that one day my kids are proud of me.  After all, their opinions are the only ones I *really* care about at the end of the day. 


I'll end with one lingering thought:  This run is the first in the Triple Crown Series and everyone says that it is flat.  However, I beg to differ.  When it is uphill both ways, how is that flat?