Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thankful for a New Year



It is the end of the first full week of 2012.  Here are three things that I feel thankful for:

My Job
Hubby and I got hit pretty hard a few years back with cuts in both of our professions.  The financial cut was hard, but not impossible.  The emotion cut was definitely more difficult.  And the hit I took with the increase of responsibilities (with less days and more students) seemed to be impossible.

Fast forward to 2012 and we find that things are as they should be.  With a strong relationship with Hubby and a sense of peace amid the chaos of kids, we found a way to make it all work out.  As I reflect, I even got a little "carrot" this week.   Kids give teachers gifts at the holidays all the time, but this particular one is special because the giver is a student, who a year ago, told his 7th grade teacher where she could go.  This week, he gave me a Christmas present (yes, it was late... everything he turns in is late)  a bracelet that he bought for me with his own money.  What a great way to get "paid."   I sure am thankful for my job. It doesn't hurt that I have another one week break in 5 weeks though :)

My Kids
The Boys are wonderful.  Period.  Academically, they are stellar students.  They work hard, try their best at everything they do, and are extremely disciplined when it comes to things like asking for permission.  I don't know how I got so lucky, because I'm pretty sure I don't deserve it.  The bonus: They stay active and healthy and have a fantastic set of friends that I really like.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Hubby and I are constantly on them to be their best and they are , in many ways, "typical" kids, but I bet that with a little bit of slack, they would still make the right decisions that make us so proud.

My Hubby
How'd I get so lucky?  I have a hubby that is honest and truthful with me.  He supports the craziness ("Hey babe, I signed us both up for a half marathon," or "Honey, I'm going to Reno for three days with my friends," or "My car is running on fumes and a prayer.  Could you fill it up, run it through the car wash and pick up In and Out for me?" )  Yes, there are times that I want to poke him in the eye.  What marriage would be complete without that piece, but the overwhelming majority of the time, I want to just be with him.   Lucky, lucky me.

I'll end this entry with a short list of NY resolutions for myself:

1) Keep Running.*
2) Sit up Straight.
3) Trim the Fat (achieve simplicity, "X" the drama)
4) Above all, Give Praise.

*A special note of thanks to the pretty girl that talked me into another run in 6 months from now.  That will help me keep up with resolution #1.  Now I need to start thinking about the other three...