Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Miss me some Kat Von D

Lately, I've been thinking about a girl.  I know a girl that - at one time - I got to spend a great deal of time with.  She and her family would join ours for dinners (more than once a week) and we would share make up ideas, laugh uncontrollably, surf the net, and cook dinner together in the chaos of having the kids play and yell and laugh and run.  One summer, I think we hit a record for highest number of swim parties in a month.  Good times.

Alas, life takes whirls and twirls making it difficult ( and in some cases - impossible) to spend time together.

So it isn't a surprise that I miss my Kat Von D.  Those talks about tattoos, those moments of driving in the car together, not saying a word. Extensive conversations about make up and hair...annoying enough to send the Hubby to the other room.   Chicken gizzards.  Precious times spent with her family, my family, our kids.  It all paints a collection of beautiful memories.
















But I know that friendships have seasons.  We as people have factors that interfere with the ability to just do whatever we want to do all the time.  But even though the time with this gal is almost non existent these days, I do - from time to time - wish I would just have her around.  I'd love a night of homemade dinner at her house (such a great cook!) or to sit around in the living room and watch TV with all the kids and their random commentary. I'd love a crossfit workout...ok, that's a lie.  What I would love is the conversation after the workout.  Our time together has been reduced to the occasional text message and reading each other's Facebook statuses.

Here's a clarification before I go on... I have NOT lost this friendship.  I DO have friendships that I have let go of and friendships that have let go of me.  But this is not one of them.  I will always treasure this woman.  She is amazing, although I don't get to see her very often.  I do not believe that we have not let go of each other; we've simply entered another season.

Ria used to always say that real friendships pick up where they leave off, however long that may be.  Those are words that I believe with my whole heart. Whether a few weeks or a lifetime, I reserve a very special place in my heart for her.  No, we are not as close as we used to be, but when I told her I loved her, I meant it.  And I still do mean it.  No amount of time can change the very fond memories that I have with her.  No amount of time can change how much I treasure her.

To that, I wish my Kat Von D good wishes as she bids a temporary good bye to her husband (who is stationed in Bahrain for a year)   Miz Von D, if you ever need an Indiana fix, I'd love to go through the 500+ pictures from lil sissy's wedding.  It will bring the smell of fresh biscuits and gravy and mammaw's homemade meatloaf back.  Promise :)