Monday, December 12, 2011

Get there... by running

It all started one day at the dojo when MM asked, "Who wants to run a marathon?"  Of course, I was quick to say NO but Mrs. Sensei said, "Sure!  That's a great idea!"  Thus began the peer pressure. So, 3 months later and I am in the process of training to run 13.1 miles just because...well... because my friends are doing it.  Great reason, I know.

When the madness started, I could run about 2 minutes (literally) before the need to stop, take off my shoes, and open a beer.  But I kept going and soon 2 minutes turned to 5, and 5 turned to 10.  It has been a very slow process, but at least I'm running the hamster wheel with friends.

Miramar Lake has become the weekly meeting place.  It has worked out well because there are markers every quarter mile.  In October, we ran Light the Night 5k in Balboa Park dressed like bunnies.  On Thanksgiving, we ran the 10k for Run for the Hungry in Downtown.  Hubby ran with us and ended up having to run backwards to keep pace with me.  Ah, true love.

With December's cruel weather (a whooping 65 degrees, but I'm a SoCal gal, so I'm super sensitive!)  I've resorted to running on a treadmill that Hubby set up for me in the garage.  Although it gets a little boring after the first few minutes, I'm finding that I get my motivation from this stupid Nike app that I downloaded on my phone.  It keeps "unlocking" voices that give me words of encouragement.  Kind of silly, I know, but I get my kicks from Lance Armstrong telling me things like, " You just set a new record for the 10k!"  I wonder where I'll get the motivation once all the levels have been unlocked...

At least it's easier than Crossfit.