Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Life In Mexico








When my son came home to tell me all about how he learned about Life In Mexico at school, I thought, "I wonder if he realizes how hard life can be?" The opportunity to take the two big boys to downtown Ensenada proved to be a great lesson in life and culture for them. It was such a contrast from the comforts of the cruise ship. We saw street vendors trying to sell sunglasses, artwork, toys, and other trinkets. The boys enjoyed looking at the items and realized for the first time that the price could be negotiable. I took that opportunity to talk to them about how the vendors have to work very very hard to provide for their families. I also told them how sometimes people work very hard but really never have enough money to buy special things or have a lot of toys. It seemed that I did most of the talking, but they did listen. Hopefully through this experience, they can one day understand how lucky they are to live where they live and have the things that they have. As they get older, I really hope they learn to appreciate all the things they have and learn to be empathetic to others.